Pages

Featured Post

Dude...That's Me

I know what you're probably thinking...dude just ripped off Aerosmith.  And then you thought, "Hey, a guy isn't allowed to sew ...

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

A Stylish Polo

I thought that my second project would go a little bit easier, and in a way, it did.  But in many other ways, it didn't.  Mad props to Peak-A-Boo Pattern Shop for this really dope Classic Polo pattern


Construction wise, this was way easier than the Oxford.  Less parts to put together and the placket was surprisingly intuitive.  I thought that was going to be the hardest thing for me, but it really wasn't.  The collar gave me some problems, where my fabric pinched a little bit in a couple of places where the body and collar attach but the collar hides it.  The first sleeve I put on was a little shaky but the second one went on beautifully and I think I'm getting the hang of things.

Confession time...I initially sewed the button holes on the wrong side of the placket.  I'm just so glad I realized what I did before actually cutting the holes.  It took me forever and a day to pick the stitches out with a seam ripper.  Thankfully, I had bought large buttons for the little bit I was not able to get, in fear of ripping my fabric, is hidden.

Working with a jersey knit was kind of a pain in the butt.  When you cut that stuff, it likes to roll in on itself, making sewing a hem a nightmare.  When it came time to sew together my body and sleeves on the inside seam, I wanted to set that thing on fire and be done with it.  I even tried ironing it flat, but no amount of coaxing would work.  I was so frustrated with it that I just sewed things up as best I could.  And the hem on the bottom is atrocious.  I am very embarrassed at the job I did on it, but I had had enough at that point.  I ran out of bobbin thread about six inches from finishing that hem and wanted to punt my machine out the window.

What adventures...I definitely got some major experience on this little project.  The only sad part for me is...that it doesn't fit me.  It is a child's pattern so obviously I can't fit in it.  I really love these colors and want one for myself.  Maybe I can find a polo pattern for men and give it another go!

Fabric and buttons were from Hobby Lobby - jersey knit in aqua and white.  They were both $6.99 per yard.  The buttons were on sale for like $0.90.
 
The Finished Polo

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this made me laugh. I was searching up online patterns / tutorials for how to make a simple polo shirt and ended up on your blog and had a good laugh reading this. I FEEL YOUR PAIN, I mostly only sew with jersey knit fabrics. But unlike you I attempt to make things without using proper patterns / using patterns I've made myself, so that's where my problems usually stem from. Your shirt looks great, as do your other projects. Keep it up!! And props for posting at 12:34!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prime Trading Company offer a tailored solution to today's garment manufacturing.Our Production range Covers
    Stylish Polo
    and much more.

    ReplyDelete